Problems Associated with a Roof That Leaks

A roof in Bellevue that leaks can cause you many problems, especially if that leaky roof isn’t dealt with in a timely manner. If you discover or suspect that your roof has been compromised, contact a reputable roofing contractor as soon as possible to set up an inspection. The longer you wait, the more costly the repairs may be. Here are some common problems associated with a leaky roof.


Mold and Mildew Issues

A roof that leaks, particularly one that has been leaking for a while, can create an ideal environment that allows mold and mildew to thrive in, and to grow wildly. Given enough time and moisture, fungal infestations can become disastrous, damaging your home’s structural supports and posing a health risk. People who breathe in mold spores afloat in the air can develop allergic reactions or respiratory diseases. In a worst-case scenario, the infamous black mold ( Stachybotrys chartarum ) could send you to the emergency room.

Damage from Water Intrusion

Intruding water from a leaky roof usually starts to pool directly beneath the roof, around roof vents, or in an attic. This excessive moisture can soak into your home’s insulation, dramatically reducing its effectiveness. When fiberglass and cellulose insulation becomes oversaturated, it starts to clump together and reduce in size, rendering it less energy efficient. As insulation begins to fail, monthly energy bills rise. Intruding water can soak into wooden beams and studs, weakening your home’s support structures, as well as adversely affecting things like drywall, plaster, and paint.

Electrical Fires and Shock

Your home harbors a network of electrical wiring that runs behind your walls. If water comes into contact with live wires, it can cause electrical shorts, which can shock you if you’re in the wrong place at the wrong time. These electrical shorts can also start house fires. If you notice signs of water intrusion inside your home, especially if you’re near an electrical panel or exposed wiring, shut off the power supply to your home immediately and contact a professional.